Saturday, September 13, 2008

Help please and a thankyou.....


Number two son found this today at a garage sale.....I think it is made out of pressed copper or pressed brass...and as you can see the former owners have tried to clean it....can anyone give me any ideas of cleaning this up a bit, it has quite a build up of polish in the groves.....I have seen quite a few good old home remedies..but just can't remember what ........ would appreciate any help at all....
Received a parcel in the post this week and inside I found two of these beautiful watches....a little while ago my friend Kerry and I helped out a co-quilter, Kathi......she wrote a lovely email to us and that was enough of a thankyou for Kerry and I, but earlier this week these turned up in the post.....Kathi thankyou so very much, both Kerry and I were over whelmed with your generosity, I wear mine to work each day, it goes perfectly with my "Ford" shirts........
And what a day ......... so beatuiful outside....

12 comments:

  1. Sorry Peg...can't help with the cleaning problem but have a suggestion. Go over to tipnut and see if they have a good tip for cleaning copper or brass. I will email a link if you need it.
    Enjoy the beautiful day and see you tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's quite a find - it looks quite large too. I can't give you any suggestions for cleaning it, but you could try Google, you're bound to find something there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got a tip one time which I have used succesfully. Mix 35% vinegar together with zalo (that's a norwegian dishwash soap, guess you have something similar)

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! Peg, what a great find. I can't help with the cleaning... I'll try and find something though. What a lovely watch too. Lucky you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi oh that's pretty, use May's idea or regular copper polish with a toothbrush.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful watch and what a great find!

    I’ve looked in Old Granny’s cleaning tips, a Dutch online service with oldfashioned cleaning tips. Mostly very effectiv e!

    They suggest liquid ammonia with green liquid soap, or...
    tomato purée that you leave on for a night..

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Peg! Doing abit of 'catch up' here!! Havent been on any blogs for awhile. Love your swap items - you have been VERY busy as usuall - excpecially the Cinderberry one - my SIL made that for me a littlw while ago
    x Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very impressive...What will you use it for? Brasso, rubber gloves and a toothbrush??? Steel wool from a hardware store (big wad of silver stuff) might also be useful!! Lucky you with the watch!! CAthyx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't know how you could clean it, but you found a great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  10. No suggestions, but I love it! Wish it could talk.

    ReplyDelete
  11. If it's brass, the product mentioned earlier called Brasso works great! Good luck, it's very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry, I have no idea but it's a very nice but I love this old box.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment, I do enjoy reading them all...take care, keep safe, happy quilting .. Peg